Sunday, November 28, 2010

Make the Season Bright

The holiday season is upon us. It's that time of year when we feel a little more giving, weather it's giving money to charity or to ourselves with fantastic discounts at our neighborhood chain stores. It's the season to blast your radio on high with cheesy holiday music and sip a nice cup of hot cocoa. And don't forget all the luminously  decorated houses! Well, all the houses except for mine.  
Every year I ask my mom why we can't put up holiday lights. Her answer: "We're Jewish".


 Despite her claims I do not think this is a valid excuse. Sure the lights are a Christian tradition, but according to my partner in crime, Wikipedia, "the use of celebratory lighting during winter solstice festivals pre-dates Christianity." So we are not using the lights in a religious sense, just as an ancient thing that humans enjoy to do.

Plus, holiday lights are no longer strictly religious, but also cultural. It has become an american tradition to decorate our houses to the nines. So being American, I vote that my family over decorates the exterior of our home as well. We can put blue and white lights over our bushes. It's just Chanukah Americanized. After all, Chanukah has already been Americanized with the idea of giving presents.

So being Jewish is not an excuse for not brightly decorating. Chanukah, after all, is the festival of lights, hence we should have lights. What is an excuse is the electricity bill cost.    

2 comments:

  1. Emma this is funny, I really enjoyed reading this post. I am lucky enough to be both Jewish and Christian so putting up decorations has never been a problem in my house, but I know that my cousins often complain that they don't get to put up a "Chanukah tree." I think that the picture you put with this post is perfect for what you are arguing, I love all of the Jewish stars rather than Christmas wreaths. I agree that the "Festival of Lights" should be celebrated by putting lights up. An added excuse to the bill going up would be the idea of light pollution, but I don't think very many people would say that's a good enough one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma- I totally think you should put up lights! I'm a huge Christmas lover, but I know plenty of people who celebrate Chanukah and still put up holiday lights! A lot of my friends who are Jewish still celebrate the holiday season but putting lights up, and, at least to me, the lights have never directly represented Christmas alone, just the holiday season in general. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete