Tuesday, April 12, 2011

If Rosebud Never Exsisted

In case you haven't been keeping up to date with my blogging (in which case shame on you) then you wouldn't know that lately I have been writing a research paper on federal spending for the arts. Through my research I have found out about the Federal Theatre Project (FTP) from the 1930's. Basically with this project, the federal government gave money to the theatre to help keep it going. As the director of the FTP, Hallie Flanagan said, "while our aim is to put to work thousands of theatre people, our more far-reaching purpose is to organize and support theatrical enterprises so excellent in quality, so low in cost and so vital to the communities involved that they will be able to continue after the federal aid is withdrawn." Ah, if only the world was perfect.

While this program was in place, they were able to support such people as Will Geer, Burt Lancaster, John Houseman, Sidney Lumet, E.G. Marshall, and most famous of all Orson Welles. In fact over the weekend I just watched Welles masterpiece, Citizen Kane, a film commonly thought as the best movie ever made. It's crazy to think that if FTP never helped Orson Welles when he was a young up-and-comer, then the world may not have ever been introduced to the artistic genius. The look of films today would look dramatically different without the influence of Welles' techniques.

The FTP came to an end 1939. I'm not saying that the government should start up a program as intense as the FTP, especially in today's economy, all I'm saying is that the government shouldn't cut spending all together. Without government spending, we may be depriving ourselves of people who have the ability to be as influential as Welles, but just don't have the means to do it. I know that we need to cut federal spending, but why cut the arts? after all we only spend .0051% of the budget on the art, why not cut the real money eaters like the defense budget, which we spend 16.3% of our budget. After all, as Jonathan Larson  wrote in his hit musical, Rent, "The opposite of war isn't peace; it's creation." 

3 comments:

  1. Emma, You are such an amzing writer! I love your style and am going to keep reading your posts!! I can't wait to read your Junior Theme and learn more about your topic; I honestly know nothing about the government and the arts and want to learn more. So interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, maybe we cant have a program that provides as much aid to the arts as FTP did, but we should still be funding arts programs, especially in schools. There are countless people whose talents and passion lie in the arts, and they need support just as someone with talents and passion for mathematics or science or athletics does. I LOVE the Jonathan Larson/RENT quote, and I like your images too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma,

    Great connection to the JT. I wonder if you could connect this to a current project being funded by the government?

    ReplyDelete