Saturday, June 4, 2011

From Platitude to Tolerable: A Blog's Story (Meta-post)

When one is asked to reflect on their own writing, two things come to mind: 1) what one could improve and 2) what one's strengths are. Therefore, I would like to tackle both of theses as I assess myself with my final meta-blog.


Part one: Weaknesses


As I look at the past three blogs I wrote this quarter, I notice that I have written only three blogs. By writing only three blogs, I have basically failed this assignment. Through writing these blogs, I have learned to take the blame for stuff that I have done. It is my fault that I have only written three blogs. Last quater I would have probably blamed my lack of writing to being too busy, but luckily last quater I did not need to write a meta-post. This quater I have grown and take full responsibility for writing only three blog posts. 


I'm just not very good at transitions between points. 


Another weakness is sentence flow. I write very choppy. It does not flow. It makes my posts hard to read. I will work on that. 


Part Two: Strengths


I have finally mastered making my posts look pretty. Pretty posts and pretty pictures and a pretty font makes for a happy reader!


Writing about something I care about makes for a more fun read. You can sense the passion through my writing which, I hope, makes people think. In all three of my blogs I wrote about something I somewhat cared for. These posts flowed better, had better content, and informed people about something that they may have not been to aware of before. 


I have also found my voice (hence the picture of Ariel from the little mermaid because she lost her voice, but got it back after Ursula died). By being able to practice writing throughout the year I have been able to find my own unique voice when it comes to writing. I have been told by past english teachers that this is one of the hardest things to learn, and trust me, it took awhile. But I think, with a bit more practice, I could really have it down.


Before I finish I just want to say one thing. I'm very happy that I got to have a blog this year. I have learned that blogging is not my thing. But at least I got the opportunity to try it.


Oh, and please grade this lovely entry: If Rosebud Never Exsisted

1 comment:

  1. I know you struggled with this quarter, Emma, but your writing "voice" is a very powerful tool. Keep using it to its full effect.

    ReplyDelete